What are the deeply held core values that guide you when you are making the hardest decisions? Do you spend your time focusing on those values or floating from idea to idea with no real purpose or end goal in mind?
My guest today is Brant Menswar, the author of Black Sheep: Unleash the Extraordinary, Awe-Inspiring, Undiscovered You. He wrote this book to help people identify what matters most in the moments that matter most, and today we discuss the importance of deliberately defining your values and knowing exactly what matters most to you so that you can take the most meaningful action every day.
Today we discuss —
What are your black sheep values?
- Do you know why farmers don’t value black sheep as much as the rest of the flock?
- Everyone has five black sheep values that should be embraced no matter what.
- Your non-negotiable values have to be separated from your important values — what matters most?
- You cannot find your purpose if you can’t define what your core values are.
What is the value of purpose?
- 99% of us are just winging it — why is that a problem?
- You can’t do anything on purpose if you’re just winging it.
- There is a massive difference between being intentional and living your life with deliberate intention.
- Don’t try to find your purpose — choose your purpose.
What is a good choice?
- A good choice is born from your black sheep values.
- A good choice is a result of all of the information you can access.
- A good choice honors what you are feeling in the moment.
- The only thing that you can control is the deliberate intention that goes into making decisions.
- Your happiness cannot depend on the results of your decisions.
Four facts about your black sheep values
- Truth does not have to be final based on the facts in the current room — do you have the right people having the right conversations?
- When you don’t feed your own sheep they don’t recognize you — you have to engage with your values in deliberate intention every single day.
- Spending all of your time feeding other people’s sheep distracts you from what matters most in your life.
- You have to start by identifying your what, not your why.
Brant’s book recommendation is Limitless: How to Ignore Everybody, Carve Your Own Path, and Live Your Best Life by Laura Gassner Otting
Brant’s song recommendation is “Purple Rain” by Prince
Brought to You By: