The Elegant Warrior Podcast Episode 123 – How To Breathe To Succeed
Today, I am delighted to finally be joined by the author of a book that came into my life at the time that I really needed it. Throughout my life, I have used different yoga and meditation practices to help maintain my mindfulness, and these practices all have one thing in common — a dedicated focus on breathing. I’ve discovered that when I slip in my practice, I have found myself stuck in a pattern of negative thoughts, and this author reminded me of what I was missing out on.
I’m joined today by Breathe to Succeed author Sandy Abrams to discuss the power of your breath. She explains how controlling your breath can transform your emotions, increase your self-awareness and your productivity, and help you stay in control of your life, even in this crazy world that we are living in. Sandy also offers one very powerful and extremely simple task that I want you to try right now to start to regain control of your breathing, your thoughts, and your life.
Today we discuss —
Transforming your emotions with your breath
- Robert Heller said, “Fear is just excitement without the breath,” but how is that possible?
- Other emotions can be transformed with your breath as well.
- Breath is the catalyst that gets you from point A to point B.
- Your emotions are always your choice, even in these unprecedented times.
- Taking three deep breaths can help you take control of your emotions.
The importance of letting go
- Exhaling is just as critical inhaling when managing your breath
- The inhale and the exhale are both important for different reasons.
- Inhaling through your nose connects to the part of your brain that regulates your emotions.
- Mindset goals are easier to achieve by managing your breathing.
Increase self-awareness to increase productivity
- Only 10-15% of people today are truly self-aware.
- Too many of us allow our smartphones to dictate how we are going to feel each day.
- Clear intentions overcome mindless checking off the to-do list.
- Mindfulness allows you to take control of your day.
- You can’t afford the luxury of a negative thought in your day — just feel it and let it go.
The power of three deep breaths
- You DO have time to pause and take three deep breaths with your eyes closed.
- Close your eyes to set a boundary between the internal and the external.
- Employ the power of three deep breaths before you pick up your phone to check social media.
- Digital overwhelm is real, but it doesn’t always have to be that way.
- Chronic shallow breathing will leave you in a perpetual state of stress.
- Don’t wait until something goes wrong to try this simple practice.
Your breath is always with you
- When you own your breath, no one can steal your peace.
- Your breath is the key to your next-level success.
- You can always find a breath in whatever moment or challenge you are facing.
Sandy’s book recommendation is The Artist’s Way, by Julia Cameron
Sandy’s song choice is “Waiting On The World to Change,” by John Mayer
The Elegant Warrior Playlist on Spotify
Advocate for Yourself 10-Week Course
Subscribe to Weekly Newsletters
Breathe to Succeed: Increase Workplace Productivity, Creativity and Clarity Through the Power of Mindfulness, by Sandy Abrams
Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art, by James Nestor
The C.E.Om. Podcast: Living Mindfully
Brought to You By: